Thursday, October 6, 2011

John K get's a cameo shot on the Simpsons


I've been a fan of the work of John Kricfalusi even before Ren & Stimpy - since i noticed his fine work on a promo Rolling Stones 12" I picked up at Columbia Records one day i was up there doing some kind of business, I took the record not because it was the Stones, but just because i thought the cover was so cool. Needless to say when Ren & Stimpy hit the Airwaves I was a HUGE fan of John K's creation and for the first two seasons where John K got to do as he liked. After he was canned (for the usual artistic integrity issues one would expect from such a sick genius) it went down hill fast in so many ways... but his episodes were incredible.


Anyway, so after many years not hearing of John, I see on line he's done a pice for the latest episode of the Simpsons!

check the blurb from Dangerous Minds and the clip below.
Ok, so it’s just the sofa section of the show’s opening, but as a huge fan of both The Simpsons and Ren & Stimpy I just had to share this. Those two shows were the high watermarks of the 90s golden age of mainstream animation, and very influential on an entire generation of young, impressionable minds. So in a way this is the cartoon equivalent of the Beatles jamming with the Stones - but much weirder. A lot of people won’t like this (and some would say it’s a good fifteen years or more since both were at their peak), but it’s still great to see John K’s dark and twisted take on America’s first family. Maybe I’m reading too much into this, but I detect a subtle swipe at the character’s roles here, and Is that a hint of bitterness I can taste in the his rendering of their front room in such gloomy colors?


here's one of my favorite more rare episodes (that actually barely even features the show's stars)

No comments:

Post a Comment